One of the most intimidating things about going vegan is veganating your kitchen. I've had a vegetarian kitchen for years now, but as an extremely broke recent college grad who is paying off student loans, my kitchen is pathetic. So I'm a vegan with no food processor, no immersion blender, no REGULAR blender, no wok...like I said, my kitchen is pathetic. So many amazing looking vegan recipes call for these things, but I make it work!
I took a trip to the grocery store yesterday and came back with a fairly good haul of vegan items. I'm also trying not to rely too much on fake meats and meat replacements, as they are expensive and processed.
On my trip I picked up:
red onion
quinoa
cereal and granola (read the labels to make sure they are vegan)
Glory brand kale (I'll be posting my indian kale recipe soon, it's always a favorite!)
high heat safflower oil (olive oil actually becomes carcinogenic when heated too high)
mushrooms
carrots
hummus
bread (arnold soft 100% whole wheat is vegan)
kombucha squash (i haven't ever cooked with these but I've read great things!)
red miso
natural peanut butter
spaghetti squash
organic baby lettuce and spring mix
tofu pups (the only fake hot dog I'll eat...my meat eater friends love them too)
red miso
almond milk (i prefer the plain unsweetened kind by soy)
I highly recommend this type of almond milk over the others, as it has 0 sugar and it has a great flavor still.
Last night I cooked up some indian style lentils, the recipe is adapted from a recipe from the Betty Crocker Indian cookbook. I'll be putting the recipe up in my recipe section!
So all in all it's going great so far, and as I'm writing this I have some sweet potato fries baking in the oven!

.jpeg)
No comments:
Post a Comment