Warning: this recipe will show you how little I have in my kitchen in terms of utensils...it's actually sad. I'm starting a bucket list today of appliances I should probably invest in to have a legitimate vegan kitchen. But I started this blog to chronicle my journey through veganism, and I feel as though many beginner vegans have the same issues.
I've never cooked kobucha squash before so I googled kobucha squash and found a paleo website with tips for cooking it.
I took the squash and cut the top off, then sliced it in half. I used the knife to cut around the pulp and scooped it out along with the seeds with a spoon. Then I cut it into slices, which was DIFFICULT. Very difficult. Next I took the slices and arranged them along two brownie tins, since I don't own a cookie sheet. I popped them in the oven at 400 for 30 min.
One crucial step I missed was using some sort of oil to toss the squash with. Additionally, next time I bake the squash I will peel and cube it before baking, rather than after. Also, if you own an immersion blender or food processor, you can blend the squash with some veggie broth (after it's done cooking) to add more creaminess to the dish. Sadly I own neither.
1 med onion
16 oz sliced baby bellas
2 T flour
2 c vegetable broth
1 t salt
1 t soy sauce
Slice the onion and put in a skillet with high heat oil. Cook on med heat til the onions turn translucent. Next add the mushrooms, and allow them to cook until they release their liquid. Add salt when mushrooms are just beginning to soften, this will help them soften more quickly. Once the mushrooms soften, add the vegetable birth and soy sauce. Whisk in the flour to thicken the sauce. Depending on what flavor you want the dish to have, season accordingly. Last night I used chipotle powder, smoke seasoning, black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.
After the macaroni is done, drain the water and return the noodles to the pot. Pour in the mushroom gravy over top.
The last piece to this dish is the kale. Using the same skillet as the gravy, cook the kale down until it has completely cooked and the stems are no longer crunchy. Stir into the pot.
When the squash finishes, remove the skin and add to the pot as well. Add whatever seasonings you wish to add and enjoy!
Creating this recipe made me realize I tend to rely on the same spices too often. My new goal is to learn more about the European herbs and incorporate them more into my cooking.
Note: using a double batch of the mushroom gravy will increase the creaminess of the dish.






No comments:
Post a Comment