Great Recipe for Indian Style Lentils. (I'll post pics next time I cook it, I'm new to this food blogging thing!)
2 cups red lentils
4 cups water
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 med red onion (cut in half and sliced very thin)
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp garlic powder
3 dry red chiles
1 tsp red chile powder
1 tsp salt
1 T neutral oil
Add lentils, water and turmeric to 3 qt pot and boil then reduce and summer for 15-20 minutes, skimming off foam from top (only need to skim foam for first 2-3 min after simmering starts)
While lentils are simmering, heat oil in skillet. Add dry chile, mustard seeds and cumin and fry for about a minute, until fragrant and splattering. Then add red onion, garlic powder and red chile powder and cook until translucent.
After lentils are done with first simmer, add the onion mix and salt. Simmer 15 more minutes and enjoy!
Garnish with cilantro and enjoy! I enjoy mine with sriracha chile sauce as well!
Adapted from a recipe for Masoor Dal in the Betty Crocker Indian Home Cooking Cookbook
No comments:
Post a Comment